Spot-Buff Backing Plates w/Extensions
For tight-area sanding & polishing.
Tiny pads & discs are must haves for working in tight areas, on small parts, or when there is a desire to keep the work area compact. Our backing plates, extensions, and pads can help to minimize the stress associated with working in critical situations. Hook-faced & vinyl-faced backing plates allow for the attachment of PSA (peel & stick adhesive) sanding rosettes, or for Velcro-style buffing pads & sanding discs.
Adaptors & extensions, for machine polishing.
These devices utilize stainless steel threaded stud, nuts & washers.
Exposed threads are smoothed away, or covered via stainless steel sleeve.
Shaft-mount mandrels, for chuck-style drills.
Mandrels are available with 1/8" or 1/4" mounting shafts.
Dremel-style tools commonly require an 1/8" shaft.
Chuck-mount handheld drills can utilize both 1/8" and 1/4" shafts.
However, keep in mind that 1/4" shafts are much more sturdy.
Choose the ideal adaptor, extension, or mandrel.
Adaptors and extensions can be mounted to a variety of tools, including these popular machines:
• Rupes® BigFoot iBrid Nano (threads directly into the machine)
• Rupes® TA50 2" Random Orbital Sander/Polisher
• A multitude of machines that feature an 8mm orbit diameter use this thread size, including: Meguiar's G110v2, MT300 / Porter Cable 7424, 7335, 7336, 7424XP / Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric 62862, 69924 etc. / Griot's 10739, 10813
• Mirka® MR-30 3" Bulldog Rotary Polisher • 1/4-20 thread
• Harbor Freight's Central Pneumatic 93629 2" Mini Orbital Air Sander
* (M6-1.0 thread was used on May 2016 & earlier models only)
* If the machine uses M6-1.0 metric thread:
-The distance from the peak of one thread to the next will be 1mm.
-There will be approximately 26 threads per inch.
* If the machine uses 1/4-20 thread:
-The distance peak-to-peak of six threads will be 1/4".
-There will be 20 threads per inch.
CAUTION! These extensions have not been safety or long-term tested. We are offering them as a convenience, so that these backing plates can be better utilized. By all means, if you are in need of a tried & tested mounting utensil, we encourage you to search out an alternate option. To date, there have been no reports of catastrophic extension or backing plate failure.
CAUTION! Keep fingers, hands, aprons, sleeves, & toweling away from the rotating assembly! The installation of a small-diameter backing plate OR an extension can EXPOSE the machine's rotating assembly (this includes the counterweight, and other rotating components), which is normally hidden away by the factory-sized backing plate. It is critical to remain aware of hand & finger placement while operating the machine, as well as any close-lying objects that could be pulled in to the rotating assembly.
Need a buffing pad system for your spot repair setup?
Add an 8-Piece Buffing Pad Kit (see photos, with descriptions).
View the entire line of 32mm (1-1/4") diameter pads here.