Mirka Bulldog 6" Random Orbital Finishing Sander
Bulldog. Compact, comfortable, and built to last.
Click to enlarge image(s)
At the heart of a sanding system is the machine, and Mirka's Bulldog Random Orbital Finishing Sanders are up to the task. These sturdy machines feature moisture-resistant composite rotors, machined (not cast) counterweights, and premium high performance bearings.
They are ergonomically designed, so comfort during extended use is excellent. The throttle level is palm-controlled, and maximum speed is adjusted using an easy to reach finger control located at the bottom of the housing (see photos).
This machine is available in three stroke diameters. The stroke generated by the machine refers to the diameter of the circular pattern the backing plate travels as it circumnavigates the driveshaft.
A machine featuring a small stroke confines its sanding to an area smaller than that of a large stroke machine. All other things being equal, a machine featuring a large stroke will deliver more random rotation of the backing plate, which may increase cutting power but may also create longer scratches or gouges if the sanding disc or buffing pad loads with abraded residue. In general:
Use a 3/32" diameter stroke machine:
• For fine-grade sanding, or sanding of items that do not allow the entire disc to remain in contact with the sanding surface
• On delicate items that cannot handle vigorous movement of the backing plate
• In confined areas, or on parts that will not physically allow the use of a machine with a
medium or large stroke (in reference to backing plate movement)
• When high-speed random rotation of the backing plate is not desirable
Use a 3/16" diameter stroke machine:
• For most sanding duties
• On items or parts that can handle somewhat vigorous movement of the backing plate
• On areas that will physically allow the use a machine with a medium stroke
(in reference to backing plate movement)
• If you plan on using the machine as a polisher (outfitted with thin or rigid buffing pads)
• If you desire more rotation of the backing plate than a 3/32" machine can deliver
Use a 5/16" diameter stroke machine:
• For most sanding duties, and specifically for coarse or aggressive sanding
• On items or parts that can handle vigorous movement of the backing plate
• On areas that will physically allow the use a machine with a large stroke
(in reference to backing plate movement)
• If you plan on using the machine as a polisher (outfitted with buffing pads)
• If you desire maximum random rotation of the backing plate
• If all the above applies, and you understand the benefits of using a large stroke machine
Still not sure which machine suits your needs, or want to learn more about stroke diameter?
Read about stroke diameter here. You can also e-mail or call us for a recommendation.
For more technical information, see the Specifications Section listed below.
Reasonable pricing and top-notch quality make Bulldog sanders a GREAT value.
1. This machine features a vinyl-face backing plate (Mirka part #106), for use with peel and stick adhesive sanding discs. Hook or foam backed sanding discs require an appropriate hook & loop style backing plate.
OPTION 1: Add a Vacuum Conversion Kit.
To keep sanding dust at bay, consider attaching a vaccuum to your Bulldog Finishing Sander! This kit enables you to attach a vacuum hose to your machine. Includes vacuum shroud and tunnel. Super-easy installation.
OPTION 2: Add a Velcro Backing Plate, save 15%.
Better to be safe than sorry! Having a spare backing plate on hand is always smart. The Mirka 106GG 6" Velcro Backing Plate features no vacuum holes, is well built, and reasonably priced. The Mirka 916SGV 6" Vacuum-Ready Backing Plate features 52 vacuum holes. 106GG | 916SGV
OPTION 3: Add an Interface Pad, save 15%.
By placing an interface pad between the sanding disc and backing plate, sanding discs will more easily conform to curved or complex surfaces. Should you inadvertently add excessive tilt to the machine during use, an interface pad will help to better distribute pressure across the entire face of the disc. 1066F | 1066 | 1066SF | S6FI | 9166
- Stroke size (rounded):
- Maximum orbit speed:
- Power output:
.28 horsepower (209 watts)
(wattage rating for comparison
to electric machines)
- Recommended air pressure:
90 PSI (6.2 Bar)
- Air consumption:
17 cubic feet/minute (481 liters)
- Machine weight (inc. backing plate):
3/32" - 1.68 pounds (760 grams)
3/16" - 1.70 pounds (770 grams)
5/16" - 1.75 pounds (795 grams)
- Backing plate diameter:
5-7/8" (149.225 mm)
- Backing plate type:
Vinyl Face- Mirka model #106
- Backing plate thread:
- Sound level: 79 dBa
- This is a non-vacuum ready model:
Mirka conversion kits are listed below
Vacuum Conversion Kits:
This kit includes parts to make the machine compatible with central vacuum systems
This kit includes parts to convert the machine to a self-generating vacuum sander
Alternate Mirka part numbers:
ROS625NV = MR-625
ROS650NV = MR-6
ROS680NV = MR-608