Mirka Abranet® 3" Pad Protector- 1/8" thick
Click to enlarge image(s)
Designed for use with Abranet and Autonet Sanding Discs.
The open mesh design employed in Abranet and Autonet products may allow the hook material of a backing plate to protrude through the mesh. If this occurs, the backing plate hooks will degrade quickly. Even worse, the hook material can cause surface marring! Avoid this problem by installing a Pad Protector. Also available in a 6" version: 9956
This simple device will not only protect the backing plate and surface being sanded, it also increases adhesion of the sanding disc to the backing plate. Since the Pad Protector is only about 1/16" thick, in most cases it will not affect the leveling capability of the disc.
Add a Dome-Style Hand Sanding Pad. This uniquely shaped block makes sanding by hand a breeze to accomplish. Its yellow cushiony material is soft, making it easy to grasp, even when wet. The Velcro face is molded into place (not glued), so pad failure is unlikely. A soft interface pad is included (interface is not a Mirka product).
Add an interface pad. The time may come when you'll need to sand a sphere-shaped item, a cylinder, or a wickedly-curved fender. To increase cushioning and shapability of net mesh sanding discs, this is the interface pad you'll need. The Mirka 9133 3" Abranet Interface Pad measures 2-7/8" in diameter, and is 3/16" tall. Note that due to its height, this interface pad may lessen sanding disc movement, particularly if paired with small stroke machines. Also available in a 6" version: 9166
Mirka 3" Velcro Backing Plates can be found here.
Mirka 3" Velcro Interface Pads: 1033 | 9947 | 9133
Mirka 3" Velcro Sanding Discs can be found here:
Abralon | Abranet | Autonet | Silver | Microstar
More Interface Pad info: Interface Pad Facts.
- #9947 3" pad: actual diameter 2-7/8"
- Compatible with Abranet® or Autonet™ discs
- Pad Protector is MANDATORY to use if no other interface pad is used between the sanding disc and backing plate
- Greatly improves the adhesion of discs to the backing plate
- #9956 6" pad: actual diameter 5-7/8"
- Pad protector attaches to any hook & loop backing plate
- Acts as a barrier so the backing plate hook material will not protrude through the sanding disc
- Extends the life of the backing plate